Posts tagged with "Yahoo News"

Bob Woodruff Foundation and NY Comedy Festival present first-ever virtual Stand Up for Heroes

November 11, 2020

New York’s highly anticipated night of hope, healing, and laughter honoring America’s veterans and their families—the 14th annual Stand Up for Heroes benefit—is going virtual this year; with support from a team of celebrities including Bruce SpringsteenJon Stewart, Prince Harry, Tiffany Haddish, Brad Paisley, Ray Romano, Patti Scialfa, Sheryl Crow, Nate Bargatze, Ronny Chieng, Jeannie Gaffigan, Mickey Guyton, and Iliza Shlesinger.

The benefit will air Wednesday, November 18 at 9:pm (EST) on ABC News Live, TikTok, Facebook Watch, Cheddar, Twitch, and Armed Forces Network.

Stand Up for Heroes was started by ABC News correspondent Bob Woodruff 14 years ago, shortly after he suffered devastating head injuries in Iraq while covering the war.. Over the years, it’s grown from New York’s Town Hall, to the Beacon Theater, to the 5,600-seat Theater at Madison Square Garden. The lineup shifts from year to year, but Springsteen has been a part of nearly all of them. Each time out, he plays a brief acoustic set and even tries out a few jokes, Yahoo News reports.

Hosted by Jon Stewart, the event also will highlight inspiring moments, memorable surprises, and stories of resilience ;while recognizing the men and women who have served in our nation’s military, the organizers said in a press release.

Stand Up for Heroes is presented by the Bob Woodruff Foundation and the New York Comedy Festival—and is also supported by Vehicles for Veterans, and sponsored by Craig Newmark Philanthropies and Veterans on Wall Street, led by Citi, HSBC Bank, and Wells Fargo.

SUFH has featured immense talent over the past 14 years, including comedians and performers Tony Bennett, Jimmy Carr, Ronnie Chieng, Eric Church, Stephen Colbert, Sheryl Crow, Jim Gaffigan, Ricky Gervais, Whoopi Goldberg, John Mayer, Seth Meyers, Hasan Minhaj, John Mulaney, Trevor Noah, Conan O’Brien, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jerry Seinfeld, Bruce Springsteen, Jon Stewart, Ray Romano and Robin Williams.

Research contact: @YahooNews

Trump suggests he would ‘negotiate’ a 3rd term as president because he is ‘probably entitled’ to it

September 15, 2020

At an indoor rally on September 12—held in Nevada, a state in which such gatherings are illegal—President Donald Trump once again suggested that he would serve three terms in office, telling attendees of  the campaign event that he was “probably entitled” to an additional four years following a hypothetical second term, Business Insider reports.

“And 52 days from now we’re going to win Nevada, and we’re going to win four more years in the White House,” Trump told the mostly maskless, non-socially-distanced crowd of his supporters on Saturday. “And then after that, we’ll negotiate, right? Because we’re probably —based on the way we were treated—we are probably entitled to another four after that.”

Although the 22nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which was ratified in 1951, established that a president may not serve more than two terms, this is not the first time that Trump has insinuated that he plans to help himself to a third term.

We are going to win four more years,” Trump said last month, according to Yahoo News. “And then after that, we’ll go for another four years because they spied on my campaign. We should get a redo of four years.”

In November 2018, Trump told Fox News’ Chris Wallace that he would not seek a constitutional amendment to permit him to serve more than two terms in office. He made the clarification after he had praised Chinese President Xi Jinping’s abolishment of presidential term limits.

“He’s now president for life. President for life. No, he’s great.” Trump said in March 2018. “And look, he was able to do that. I think it’s great. Maybe we’ll have to give that a shot someday.”

“I think the eight-year limit is a good thing, not a bad thing,” Trump later told Wallace in 2018, although he has continued to float the idea of a third term.

In June 2019, Trump told the Meet the Press Host Chuck Todd that he was only joking when saying he’d try to serve more than two terms as president.

According to Business Insider, Trump frequently has argued that he’s been treated unfairly in comparison with his predecessors, often pointing to the Russia investigation and his impeachment.

In August, at a rally in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, the president similarly suggested he was owed a third presidential term.

Research contact: @businessinsider

Popcorn amid pandemic: AMC to reopen theaters on August 20 with one-day-only 15-cent movie tickets

August 14, 2020

Would you be tempted enough by cheap thrills to chance getting exposed to COVID-19 ills? AMC Theatres, literally, is banking on its ability to entice patrons to sit for several hours in air-conditioned, semi-packed movie houses just by offering one-day-only 15-cent tickets, Yahoo reports.

One day after the United States reported the highest number of deaths in a single day (August 12) from the novel coronavirus since mid-May, AMC Theatres has announced plans to start the first phase of reopening theaters with a “Movies in 2020 at 1920 Prices” plan that will see more than 100 American-based cinemas offering 15-cent movie tickets for patrons.

The promotion is a one-day-only affair on August 20, Yahoo notes. It’s inspired by the founding of AMC Theatres in 1920, when the Dubinsky Brothers established a single movie screen in Kansas City, Missouri.

“We are thrilled to once again open our doors to American moviegoers who are looking for an opportunity to get out of their houses and apartments and escape into the magic of the movies,” Adam Aron, CEO of AMC Theatres, said in a statement. “As our guests return on our first day of resumed operations …, we invite them to join us in celebrating a return to the movies, and in celebrating 100 years of AMC making smiles happen with movies at 1920 prices of only 15 cents each.”

The AMC promotion is just part of the first phase of reopening plans. The company expects to reopen as many as two-thirds of its more than 600 theater locations in the United States by September 3.

What will be on the screens? Christopher Nolan‘s Tenet, which was delayed multiple times to hold out for a theatrical release.

Research contact: @YahooNews

Report: For three months, White House blocked CDC from briefing Americans on COVID-19

July 6, 2020

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was denied permission by the White House to brief the public about the coronavirus crisis, a source at the agency told Yahoo News. 

As a result, the CDC found itself unable to do public briefing for three months—from March 9 through June 12—starting not long after a senior official warned in late February that the virus was likely to hit hard nationwide, Business Insider reports.

As the coronavirus swept across America, it was the White House coronavirus task force led by Vice President Mike Pence, and fronted with increasing frequency by President Donald Trump, that took the lead in briefing the public about the crisis.

Earlier in the year the CDC had given frequent briefings on the pandemic. But then it fell abruptly silent.

A CDC spokesperson, speaking anonymously to Yahoo, confirmed that the agency “slowly but surely took a backseat” to the coronavirus task force.

“We continued to ask for approval” from the White House to hold briefings, the CDC spokesperson told Yahoo News. “We were not given approval. Finally, we just stopped asking.” 

In a briefing on February 25, Nancy Messonnier, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD), had issued a stark warning about the likely impact of the disease.

“It’s not so much a question of if this will happen anymore but rather more a question of exactly when this will happen,” she said.

The message contrasted sharply with Trump’s attempts at the time to downplay the likely impact of the disease, Business Insider said.

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the report.

A task force member told Yahoo that the CDC was too concerned with its own stature, and an interagency response to the crisis was required. “The CDC feels like they should be in charge of this,” remarked

Research contact: @YahooNews

Trump ousts State Department watchdog at urging of Pompeo; Dems open inquiry

May 19, 2020

The truth will out—unless and until you fire the truth-teller. That’s the position that the Trump Administration takes, and it played out again on Friday night, May 15.

This time, it was Secretary of State Mike Pompeo who convinced President Donald Trump to fire State Department Inspector General Steve Linick—the senior official responsible for identifying operational risks within the Department of State and the U.S. Agency for Global Media; a White House official said Saturday, according to a report by The New York Times.

Pompeo had learned that he was under investigation by Linick—both for using a political appointee to run personal errands for himself and his wife; such as walking the dog and picking up the dry cleaning; as well as for investigating the Secretary’s involvement in selling arms to Saudi Arabia.

ccording to Yahoo News, House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Eliot Engel, (D-New York) confirmed Monday that Linick was looking into the Saudi arms deal.

“His office was investigating — at my request — Trump’s phony declaration of an emergency so he could send weapons to Saudi Arabia,” Engel said in a statement. “We don’t have the full picture yet, but it’s troubling that Secretary Pompeo wanted … Linick pushed out before this work could be completed.”

Engel immediately called the decision to remove Linick an “outrageous act” meant to protect Pompeo from accountability. And by Saturday, May 16, Engel and Senator Bob Menendez of New Jersey, the top Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, had opened an investigation into Linick’s removal, citing a pattern of “politically motivated firing of inspectors general,” the Times said.

In letters to the White House, the State Department and Linick, the two Democrats wrote that they believed Linick had opened an investigation into wrongdoing by Pompeo and that Pompeo had responded by recommending that  be fired.

“Such an action, transparently designed to protect Secretary Pompeo from personal accountability, would undermine the foundation of our democratic institutions and may be an illegal act of retaliation,” the lawmakers wrote.

In their letters, Engel and Menendez requested that the Trump Administration turn over records and information related to the firing of Linick as well as “records of all I.G. investigations involving the Office of the Secretary that were open, pending, or incomplete at the time of Linick’s firing,” the Times said.

In addition, during a busy weekend, the news outlet said, the president also took steps toward the termination of another government employee whom he saw as a problem. The president moved to remove Glenn A. Fine, who has been the acting inspector general for the Defense Department since before President Trump took office, so that he could not be installed as the leader of an oversight panel intended to keep tabs on how the Trump administration spends trillions of dollars in pandemic relief approved by Congress.

Research contact: @nytimes

Pentagon memo warns that DNA kits pose ‘personal and operational risks’

December 31, 2019

The Pentagon is advising members of the military not to use consumer DNA kits—saying the information collected by private companies could pose a security risk, according to a memo co-signed by the Defense Department’s top intelligence official, Yahoo News has exclusively reported.

A growing number of companies—among them,  23andMe, Ancestry, and MyHeritagesell testing kits that provide consumers with a DNA profile, if they send in a cheek swab or saliva sample. They claim that their DNA profile offer insights into the buyer’s ancestry and possible medical risks—and even can even identify previously unknown family members.

The boom in popularity of such kits has raised ethical and legal issues, since some companies have shared this data with law enforcement, or sold it to third parties. Yahoo notes. But the latest to express its concerns publicly is the Defense Department.

“Exposing sensitive genetic information to outside parties poses personal and operational risks to Service members,” says the December 20 memo signed by Joseph D. Kernan, the undersecretary of defense for Intelligence, and James N. Stewart, the assistant secretary of defense for Manpower.

The memo — which says that some DNA kit companies have been targeting military personnel with discounts — appears to have been distributed widely within the Defense Department. The memo was obtained by Yahoo News.

These [direct-to-consumer] genetic tests are largely unregulated and could expose personal and genetic information, and potentially create unintended security consequences and increased risk to the joint force and mission,” states the memo.

The memo provides few details on how genetic profiles could endanger security, other than noting that potential “inaccuracies” in health information could pose a risk to military personnel, who are required to report medical issues. Most of the health reports provided by DNA companies typically pertain to medical risks, such as a predisposition to cancer, rather than diagnosing a condition.

Research contact: @YahooNews

Adidas by Stella McCartney now sells a post-mastectomy sports bra

October 11, 2019

For the hundreds of thousands of U.S. women who have gone through single or double mastectomies, finding sports bras that are comfortable and look appropriate for a gym can turn into an epic and less-than-fruitful search.

The good news for them is that Adidas by Stella McCartney unveiled on Monday its first ever Post-Mastectomy, Yahoo News reports.

The post-operative bra has been designed by Stella in collaboration with bra consultant Monica Harrington, who has worked closely with breast cancer patients and has an extensive knowledge of their needs post-surgery.

The result of this partnership is a bra that prioritizes comfort and support, while also offering Stella’s signature sleek style and Adidas technology.

To tailor the bra to women who have undergone breast cancer surgery, Stella has added four unique design features, including:

  • An easy-to-use front fastening closure for women with restricted movement post-mastectomy,
  • Front pockets with removable pads to keep prosthetics in place during workouts,
  • Adjustable straps and a wide underband for high support and improved fit, and
  • Strategically placed seams around the arms to reduce any irritation to the skin, which can become sensitive due to surgical scarring.

British professional boxer Michele Aboro –who herself is a breast cancer survivor, as well as a mother and a mentor— is featured in the new campaign, says Yahoo. 

“After my surgery I felt lost. As a professional athlete, I was used to relying on my body but after my mastectomy, I started to lose belief in myself and how my body would react. When I was ready to get back into fitness, I couldn’t find a sports bra that didn’t require being pulled over my head or lacked in support. Now I wear the Post-Mastectomy Sports Bra every time I train — it is comfortable and supportive and has helped me build back my confidence to get back into the game,” Michele explains.

With the cause one which is close to Stella’s heart, following the loss of her mother, Linda McCartney to the disease, the designer hopes that the new post-operative bra will help give women the confidence to get back into sport following surgery, and help boost their physical and mental well-being.

“With the Post-Mastectomy Sports Bra, I really wanted to encourage women to take care of their health through wellness and self-care,” commented Stella. “This bra allows us to support recovering patients through the next phase of their journey; and hopefully, give them the confidence to get back into training. It has a cool and modern look that will help motivate the wearer, as well as assuring them, they are not odd one out in the gym.”

Research contact: @YahooNews