December 4, 2020
Vice President Mike Pence has been a go-to fundraising draw for the president’s campaign. Indeed, during October and early November, he let no more than a day pass without sending out an email requesting a handout to support the Trump 2020 election fraud crusade, as well as the Trump 2024 re-election effort.
But that changed late last month. According to a report by The Daily Beast, since November 25, not a single fundraising email from the Trump campaign or its Republican National Committee fundraising account has featured Pence’s name in the “from” field.
And this week, that Republican National Committee joint fundraising committee, the Trump Make America Great Again Committee, made another subtle change: A handful of its emails swapped out the official Trump-Pence campaign logo for one featuring just the president’s name.
At first blush, The Daily Beast, says those may seem like minor tweaks to gimmicky portions of Team Trump’s fundraising strategy. A source familiar with the process said the fundraising emails do not go to Vice President Pence’s team for clearance and an RNC official said the digital team was merely testing a new logo around the end-of-the-month deadline. Indeed, some of the joint fundraising committee’s emails this week have included the original campaign logo with Pence’s name below Trump’s.
But several high-level sources say that the graphics change, along with Pence’s disappearance from the headers of President Donald Trump’s increasingly frantic and conspiratorial pleas, actually are not coincidental. According to four people with knowledge of the matter, they reflect an effort by the vice president and his team to distance Pence from some of the president’s more outlandish claims about a conspiracy to undermine the election and illegally deny him a second term in office.
“It is an open secret [in Trumpworld] that Vice President Pence absolutely does not feel the same way about the legal effort as President Trump does,” s a senior administration official told The Daily Beast. “The vice president doesn’t want to go down with this ship… and believes much of the legal work has been unhelpful.”
The Trump campaign declined to comment on this story. Devin O’Malley, a spokesperson for Pence, said Wednesday night, “As he has for the last four years, the vice president is proud to stand with the president—in this case to ensure every legal vote is counted and every illegal vote is rejected. The Daily Beast’s anonymous sources have no real insight into what the vice president thinks on these matters.”
Research contact: @thedailybeast