November 12, 2021
Former Nike executive Stefan Olander is looking to bring in a new era of sportswear with premium sports and fitness start-up Omorpho, featuring products designed to strategically distribute weight across the body to improve fitness, speed, and power, reports Mumbai, India-based Fashion United.
Founded in 2017, the Portland, Oregon-based company has been developing its Gravity Sportswear collection for more than three years—seeking to challenge the misconception that lightweight apparel is better for all sports and training.
The Gravity Sportswear collection uses MicroLoad to amplify the effect of any workout by strategically distributing small amounts of weight across the body and constructed with premium performance fabrics to provide comfort and elasticity for maximum range of motion during any type of training.
The visible weighted gravity spheres that make up MicroLoad are strategically placed anatomically for functionality and intentionally to deliver an aesthetic that boosts confidence to give the wearer more from every workout, adds the brand.
Olander said in a statement: “We’ve always been told that what we wear for sports and fitness should be as lightweight as possible, but the first thing we do to get stronger and fitter is add resistance. So why not build it into what we wear?
“Sports apparel today is optimized for competition, but most people compete less than 1 percent of the time. We’ve created a beautiful and functional collection for the other 99%, using a completely new approach to deliver better results by adding small amounts of weight that don’t restrict movement.”
Olander, a former vice president of innovation at Nike, founded Omorpho alongside TBWA’s incoming chief creative experience officer, Ben Williams, and developed and brought the new sportswear brand to market with a group of former senior Nike executives.
The company recently completed an “oversubscribed” US$5 million seed round, led by Chicago based sports/tech venture capital firm KB Partners with participation from Bullish, Viking Macabee, ex-Nike executives, and several family offices.
Omorpho, named after the Greek word meaning beautiful, have also tapped a line-up of ambassadors featuring athletes, artists and celebrities chosen to demonstrate the broad application of Gravity Sportswear from sport to dance to general fitness.
Omorpho’s Gravity Sportswear collection is available for men and women; and includes long- and short-sleeve tops, vests, biker shorts, and leggings, available exclusively at Omorpho.fit. Prices start from $US100
Research contact: @FashionUnitedIN