In feud between Trump and Bannon, president is backed by his base

January 5, 2018

In a stunning turn of events this week, President Donald Trump dumped and dressed down his former chief strategist, Stephen K. Bannon, after learning that his once-close friend and adviser had disparaged him in multiple interviews for the new book, “Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House,” by Michael Wolff.

The break came after Bannon was quoted making scorched-earth comments about the president’s children—including observations that Donald Trump, Jr.’s June 2016 meeting at Trump Tower with Russian representatives had been “treasonous” and that Ivanka Trump is “dumb as a brick.”

In a written statement covered by The New York Times, the president characterized Bannon as a self-promoter who had “very little to do with our historic victory” in the 2016 presidential election and was “only in it for himself.”

He denied having a close relationship with the Breitbart executive chairman, stating, “Steve Bannon has nothing to do with me or my presidency. When he was fired, he not only lost his job, he lost his mind.”

The Times noted that, “Assuming it lasts — and with Mr. Trump, nothing is ever certain — the schism could test whether he or Mr. Bannon has more resonance with the conservative base that has sustained the president through a tumultuous tenure marked by low poll numbers.”

A poll taken overnight portends that Trump will receive the support of the majority of Republicans in the wake of this split—not Bannon.

“In this pissing contest between Donald and Bannon, who[m] do you support?” asked firearms distributor AR15 on a website forum.

Fully 92% of the site’s 500 responses were in favor of Trump;  the other 8% backed Bannon.

The poll can be assumed to be mostly Republican-facing, since, according to Statistic Brain, out of 76 million Americans who own a gun, 49% are Conservatives and 49% are Republicans.

Research contact: @AR15COM

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *